Driver and fireman posing for the camera and a group of small children looking on from the vantage point of a high hedge in the background. Authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1824, the Redruth and Chacewater Railway opened on January 30th 1826, running from the Gwennap copper mines to the south coast port of Devoran, with a branch line to service the mines of Redruth. The 4ft gauge line carried minerals and goods only and generally worked profitably. It was worked by horses until 1854 when two tank locomotives, Miner and Smelter, were bought – the first steam locomotives in Cornwall. Eventually during the 1860s the two competing lines were joined to form a coast to coast railway line. The line closed in 1915. Photographer: Unknown.