Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Trending

Choose a picture from our Trending collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867 Featured Print

Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867

This well known photograph depicts the first broad gauge passenger train to arrive at Redruth from the west on 1st March 1867. It also shows that the station has been extended towards the goods shed, revealed by the change in chimney brickwork colour. The corrugated iron roof covering to the station is shown clearly, whilst the goods shed was slate covered. It's sliding doors have been drawn across against the March cold. The locomotive is "Lance", which was one of the first contract engines built in October 1851 by Longridge and Company of Bedlington, to Gooch's "Corsair" design. Inside frames started behind the motion plate. The wheel base was 5'0"+5 1" + 7 8" giving a total of 17 9". The leading wheels were 3 6" diameter and the driving wheels 5 9". A relatively short tank of 800 gallons capacity rested on a boiler of 4 5" diameter with 220 tubes of 2" diameter. The engine was later destroyed in the collision occurring between Menheniot and St Germans early in the morning of 2nd December 1873 with the double headed goods drawn by 0-6-0STs "Brutus" and "Romulus". The authorisation "All right Dick" was given to the guard of a down train at Menheniot, but Lance`s guard was also called Dick and his train was started by mistake. The heavy down goods had already left St Germans and disaster was thus inevitable. The first passenger carriage is covered, whilst the second, just in view, is open to the elements. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Furzupland, Kenwyn, Cornwall. Early 1900s Featured Print

Furzupland, Kenwyn, Cornwall. Early 1900s

A young girl with a skipping rope is at the top of the steps, a lady holding a card or paper is on the right and a gentleman in a trilby is on the left. A gentleman with a white beard and wearing a cap can be seen looking out of a first floor window. The local story of this house is that it was built for an eccentric rich man. At the time when it was built, a well used thoroughfare ran beside the house and the man thought that someone might break in during the night and steal his money. So he had it built like a castle without stairs. At night he would climb up to the first floor using a rope ladder, pull the ladder up and sleep with a blunderbuss gun beside him. On the 1871 census an Edward George Spry, aged 36, lived there. He is described as a Bachelor of Arts, Landowner, Fund Holder and owner of stock in railways, mines etc. He was also part owner of the Red Lion Hotel in Boscawen Street, Truro. His housekeeper was Mary Verran. He and his housekeeper still lived there in 1881. Mr Spry died in 1887 leaving £11,000 (about £1 million today). The house is listed on the 1891 and 1901 censuses but with no occupants. Albert Sidney Labouchere-Sparling lived in the house between 1903 and 1906. In 1911, Josiah Clark (formerly of Tregavethan) lived there with his wife Olivia. It is possible that the people in the photograph are members of the Clark family. Furzuplands was home to the Brown family in the late 1950s. The property was later bought by architect Paul Bunyan and his wife, Laurence, who completely refurbished the interior. Photographer: Probably Arthur Philp

© From the collection of the RIC

Rock Mill with Treffry Viaduct/Aqueduct in the background, Luxulyan, Cornwall. 1909 Featured Print

Rock Mill with Treffry Viaduct/Aqueduct in the background, Luxulyan, Cornwall. 1909

The photograph is taken from above the Great Western Railway Par to Newquay branch line cutting, looking north. Rock Mill can be seen on the left of the photograph, with a telegraph pole and wires, running alongside the railway line that can be glimpsed at the bottom left. A lady with a child can just be discerned in the field on the lower right of the photograph. The Treffry viaduct/aqueduct can be seen further up the Luxulyan Valley. The viaduct was built between 1839 and 1842 by its owner Joseph Thomas Treffry. This viaduct, 90 feet high and 670 feet long, had the dual purpose of carrying both a tramway and a high level leat across the Luxulyan Valley. It was the first large civil engineering structure of its kind to be built in Cornwall, and it is now a Scheduled Monument. Photographer: Herbert Hughes

© From the collection of the RIC