RIC200 Events Board, Royal Cornwall Museum, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 28th February 2018
A view of the events board, advertising RIC200, outside Royal Cornwall Museum. The exhibitions and programme of events ran until January 2019 as part of the Royal Institution of Cornwall's bicentenary celebrations in 2018. The museum, art gallery and library was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1919. Prior to this date, the collections of the Royal Institution of Cornwall had been housed in part of the former home of the Vivian family in Union Place, Truro. The main part of the museum building seen today was formerly Truro Savings Bank, built in 1847. The Savings Bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. The right hand part of the building was formerly Truro Baptist Chapel, built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the 'link' building. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. The architect of both original buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Photographer: Nicki Foley.
© © RIC, photographer Nicki Foley
South Providence Mine (formerly Wheal Speed), Lelant, Cornwall. Early 1900s
General view of mine, with two newly constructed administration buildings in the middle ground on the right. Behind the buildings can be seen the headgear of a shaft with the remains of an earlier engine house. A raised tram way emerges from behind the buildings on the right to connect with a probable ore crushing area in the middle ground of the picture. A church tower or monument with steeple stands above the horizon. Other buildings together with what could be water wheels are on the left of the picture. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC
Installation of Vicar of Lanlivery, Cornwall. 14th February 1989
At the installation service of the Vicar of Lanlivery are, from left to right: Rev. Brian Anderson, Rural Dean; Martin Follett, Diocesan Registrar; Rev. David Keighley, new Vicar; Rt. Rev. Richard Llewellin, Bishop of St Germans; George Temple, Archdeacon of Bodmin. The Rev. Keighley succeeded Rev. Humphrey York as Vicar of Lanlivery. Photographer: Jonathan Barker .
© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker