St Constantine Chapel, Constantine Bay, St Merryn, Cornwall. 1961
Remains of the medieval chapel, once one of the largest in Cornwall, now a scheduled monument. Little recorded, though mentioned in 1390 and rebuilt in the 15th century, the chapel was a place of pilgrimage together with the holy well nearby. Overgrown and partly buried in sand dunes, it was probably abandoned when the sands shifted and the settlement moved inland. The chapel was converted to almshouses after the Reformation but was a ruin by 1745. It is orientated east-west and consisted of a tower at the west end, nave, chancel and south aisle. Photographer: Charles Woolf.
© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf