A distant view of the four wooden Marconi wireless towers at Poldhu, Mullion, Cornwall from Mullion Cove along the cliff. 1908
A distant view, taken from Mullion Cove, of the four wooden 200ft Marconi towers, signal station and Poldhu Hotel at Poldhu. This four mast arrangement was built by early 1902. The earlier two-masted tower installation which was used by Guglielmo Marconi to transmit the first transatlantic radio message on 12th December 1901, was damaged by storms. Poldhu was taken over by the Royal Navy after the First World War and continued to operate as a research station until 1933, after which the site was cleared and donated to the National Trust. A granite monument erected in 1937 by the Marconi Company now stands on the site. Mullion Cove hotel can be seen perched on the cliffs to the the right. Photographer: Herbert Hughes.
© From the collection of the RIC