Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Countryside Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 44 pictures in our Countryside collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Black John of Tetcott, James Northcote (1746-1831) Featured Print

Black John of Tetcott, James Northcote (1746-1831)

Oil on canvas, English School. In 1784 Northcote painted the portrait of John Arscott (1718-1788) of Tetcott, Devon, and it is probable that he painted this portrait of Black John of Tetcott at same the time. Black John was under four foot in height and suffered from kyphosis, known at the time this portrait was painted as hunchback'. The descriptions of his life, spent in the service of John Arscott, record his success as a jester and his devotion to his master'. It was common for servants lives to be overlooked and trivialised by the households they worked for and for their histories to be re-written, ensuring that they had no voice of their own. For example, it was noted that "his role as jester included swallowing and retrieving strings of live mice and mumbling sparrows, removing their feathers with his teeth while the sparrow was in his mouth. He died of grief shortly after his master." There is no history of Black John's life (not even a record of his real name) that is not in relation to that of his master'. James Northcote was born in Plymouth, the son of a watchmaker and optician. He was apprenticed to his father's trade but showed a talent for art. In 1769 he left his father's work and set up as a portrait painter. He was admitted as a pupil into the studio and house of Sir Joshua Reynolds in London as a pupil and assistant between 1771 and 1776. He came to consider himself an authority on his master and in 1813, after Reynolds death, he published his posthumous Memoirs of Sir Joshua Reynolds

© RIC

Medieval Remains at Lower Greadow Farm, Luxulyan, Cornwall. 1972 Featured Print

Medieval Remains at Lower Greadow Farm, Luxulyan, Cornwall. 1972

Lower Greadow Farm, showing the remains of a medieval monastery building which belonged to Tywardreath Priory. The farm is in Luxulyan Parish and the parish boundary runs close to the eastern side of the farm. According to 1888 and 1908 Ordnance Survey maps it was known as Lower Gready. Two nearby farms to the east were known as Middle Gready and Higher Gready, both of these being east of the parish boundary in Lanlivery Parish. At some time since then the word Gready has been changed to Greadow. A granite stone outside Higher Greadow Farm still reads Higher Gready Farm. A young boy looks at the photographer from the doorway of the farmhouse. An aerial view from Google Maps (2019) suggests that some of the remains have since been removed. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

View of Porthallow from the hill, St Keverne, Cornwall. 1897 Featured Print

View of Porthallow from the hill, St Keverne, Cornwall. 1897

View down the valley to the village of Porthallow with the sea in the distance. A horse and cart is at the bottom of the lane, on its way back up the hill from the beach. A number of ladies are standing at the doorway of the thatched whitewashed cottage on the left. Photographer: Herbert Hughes

© From the collection of the RIC

Coastal Villages, Cornish, Countryside, Fishing Cove, The Lizard