Courtyard in Newlyn leading through to Myrtle Cottage, Fred Millard (1857-1937)
Oil on panel, Newlyn School, around 1890. This painting depicts the courtyard of Myrtle Cottage, where the female students of Stanhope Forbes painting school lodged before the First World War. In 1918, it became the home of Alec and Kay Walker, the founders of Crysede Silk. Fred Millard was born in London and studied in Paris under Jean-Paul Laurens in 1882, where he was a contemporary of Falmouth artist Henry Scott Tuke. A genre painter, he exhibited mainly at the Society of British Artists and at the Royal Academy. Millard was among the original first wave of Newlyn School artists and appears in the group photographs of 1884. By 1894 he had left Newlyn and moved to Hampstead. In 1896 he lived in Boreham Wood, where Tuke frequently visited him by bicycle. Tuke also mentions in his diary that Millard had a dock studio in Falmouth in 1902. It is clear he maintained a home in Falmouth while living primarily in the London area for a number of years. Later he returned, with his wife, to live on Cliff Road at Falmouth, though he continued to exhibit in London, primarily with the Royal Society of British Artists. He died in London aged 80 on 13th October 1937.
© © RIC