Skip to main content

Duke Gallery

Available as Prints and Gift Items

Choose from 1 pictures in our Duke collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Freemasons Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, Quay Street
Freemasons Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, Quay Street
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Freemasons Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, Quay Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Early 1900s Featured Print

Freemasons Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, Quay Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Early 1900s

A view of Freemasons Hall, also known as Duchy Palace, Stannary Palace and Shire Hall, from the corner of Quay Street and Fore Street. A young boy, carrying a case and basket, stands for the photographer. The Duchy Palace was built by Edmund Earl of Cornwall in 1292. In 1337, when the Black Prince became the Duke of Cornwall, he made the Palace his administrative centre, where the Courts, Treasury, Maritime offices and the tin industry were run from. The building, made from local stone, once reached along the quay much further than today, but it was badly damaged during the Siege of Lostwithiel in 1644. The remaining building, seen in the photograph, was formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace. The hall was sold to the Freemasons in 1878, who carried out restorations and alterations. When the building was purchased by The Prince's Foundation (formerly the Prince's Regeneration Trust) in 2009 it was on the Buildings at Risk Register. The hall has since been developed into a business and retail space to benefit the local community and economy. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC