Skip to main content

Dunlop Gallery

Available as Prints and Gift Items

Choose from 3 pictures in our Dunlop collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Princes Garage, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
Princes Garage, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973
Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Speed trials at Goonhavern, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. 23rd July 1923
Speed trials at Goonhavern, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. 23rd July 1923
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973 Featured Print

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973

A view of the cattle market when empty. The cattle market was situated off North Street in an area now occupied the town car park, which is entered from Restormel Road. Markets have been held in Lostwithiel since the 12th century. What sort of markets is not clear, but prior to the cattle market being opened they were held in Queens Street. The site was formerly known as the old iron mine site, containing the mines offices off North Street. These in turn became the cattle market offices and the market opened in 1908. By the 1930s most farmers were using motor transport and the single entrance at North Street was becoming problematic, forcing some farmers to park their vehicles on Quay Street and drive their cattle through the town via Monmouth Lane (formerly known as Tram Lane) to the Market. The former tramway ran from Restormel Iron Mine, above and near Restormel Castle, down to the harbour in Quay Road, passing through the cattle market site, across North Street into Monmouth Lane across Fore Street, along Quay Street and under the railway bridge into what later became a public park. By 1973 the market was heavily subsidised and it eventually closed in 1976. The sheds in the the photograph are standing on what was the tramway track bed, running right to left. Opposite the sheds, out of picture, are the market offices. They were formerly the iron mine offices, or Count House, which had been modernised for the cattle market administration. The offices still stand today, but have been altered and are used for modern functions. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf