RIC200 Events Board, Royal Cornwall Museum, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 28th February 2018
A view of the events board, advertising RIC200, outside Royal Cornwall Museum. The exhibitions and programme of events ran until January 2019 as part of the Royal Institution of Cornwall's bicentenary celebrations in 2018. The museum, art gallery and library was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1919. Prior to this date, the collections of the Royal Institution of Cornwall had been housed in part of the former home of the Vivian family in Union Place, Truro. The main part of the museum building seen today was formerly Truro Savings Bank, built in 1847. The Savings Bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. The right hand part of the building was formerly Truro Baptist Chapel, built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the 'link' building. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. The architect of both original buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Photographer: Nicki Foley.
© RIC, photographer Nicki Foley
Duke of Cornwall views archaeology collections during a visit to the Royal Cornwall Museum to mark the bicentenary year of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 22nd March 2018
The Principle Archaeologist of Cornwall Archaeological Unit talks to the Duke of Cornwall about some Cornish archaeological artefacts. Standing to the left are the Chairman of the Royal Institution of Cornwall and Director of the Royal Cornwall Museum. Standing by the table, on the right, are two museum volunteers and the Portable Antiquities Scheme Finds Liaison Officer for Cornwall. The Royal Cornwall Museum is the main repository for archaeological archives in Cornwall. One of a series of images documenting the visit of the Royal Institution of Cornwall's patron, His Royal Highness Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, to the Royal Cornwall Museum and Courtney Library on 22nd March 2018. The visit by Prince Charles marked the bicentenary year of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Photographer: Sophie Meyer / Nicki Foley.
Author Judith Cook, Fowey, Cornwall. October 1993
Local author, Judith Cook, launches her new book 'To Brave Every Danger' at the Fowey Hotel. The book is an account of eighteenth century highway woman and convicted felon, Mary Bryant (born in Fowey in 1765), who was transported to Botany Bay, Australia, and escaped with her convict husband, children and other convicts in an open boat. They rowed for 66 days and arrived in Dutch West Timor. They were sent back to England in 1792, where they stood trial. Mary was pardoned having served the full sentence, went back to Cornwall and died after 1794. Judith Cook was a prolific author whose previous work included books on Shakespeare and the adaptation of two Daphne du Maurier books for the stage. Judith was born in 1933 and died in 2004. Photographer: Jonathan Barker.
© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker