British War Medal, First World War 1914-1918
This medal was awarded to Lieutenant Colonel F. Call. It is one of 17 campaign medals awarded to members of the Call family, now in the museum collection. The medals date from the Peninsular War (1807-1814) to the Great War (1914-1918). The Call family served with the Royal Irish Regiment, which until 1881 was known as the 18th Regiment of Foot. It was also known as the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot and the 18th (The Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot. The regiment was disbanded in 1922. The British War medal was a campaign medal of the United Kingdom awarded to officers and men of British and Imperial forces for service in the First World War. Designed by W. McMillan, this silver medal depicts the head of King George V with the inscription 'GEORGIVS V BRITT: OMN: REX ET IND: IMP:' (George 5th, King of all the Britons and Emperor of India). The reverse depicts a naked horseman, armed with a short sword and trampling on the eagle shield of the Central Powers. A skull and crossbones, representing death, are by the shield and the rising sun of Victory is positioned above the horse's head. The dates '1914' and '1918' are positioned to the left and right. The ribbon is coloured with a broad orange vertical stripe down the centre, bordered with white, black and blue stripes. TRURI : 1931.40.56
© RIC, photographer Mike Searle
3rd DCLI recruiting march, The Lizard, Landewednack, Cornwall. 29th June 1915
Lance Corporal Thomas Rendle VC is standing on the left and Coast Guard Edwards is in the centre. Lance Corporal Rendle was born in Bedminster, Bristol, on the 14th December 1884. At the time of his award he was a bandsman in the 1st Battalion, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and was acting as a stretcher bearer. He was 29 years old. His citation reads "For his conspicuous bravery on 20 November 1914 near Wulvergem, when he attended to the wounded under very heavy shell fire and rifle fire, and rescued men from the trenches in which they had been buried by the blowing in of the parapets by the fire of the enemy's heavy howitzers". He was the only stretcher bearer to receive a Victoria Cross in World War 1. His medal is held at the DCLI museum in Bodmin. He was awarded the medal by King George V on 12 July 1915. He died in 1946 in Cape Town South Africa. Coast Guard Edwards is wearing naval uniform. The Coast Guard (later known as Coastguard) was part of the Admiralty between 1856 and 1923. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.
© From the collection of the RIC