Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Gwr Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 49 pictures in our Gwr collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


View of Gwinear Road station looking west, Cornwall. Possibly at the opening of the Helston branch line on 9th May 1887 Featured Print

View of Gwinear Road station looking west, Cornwall. Possibly at the opening of the Helston branch line on 9th May 1887

'This photograph was probably taken on 9th May 1887, the opening day of the Helston branch line. Every part of the railway infrastructure in view is in almost perfect condition, having been newly installed for the creation of the new junction station. The stone work to the platforms and the locking room has obviously only recently been laid. Even the staff are well turned out. The main line retains the mixed gauge, albeit relaid with cross-sleepered track, whilst the branch line bay has been laid in narrow gauge only. The bay continues beyond the station, to a buffer stop built against the newly cut back end of the original cutting side. The branch line engine is in attendance, almost certainly a 517 class 0-4-2T, complete with polished brass dome. The contrasting painting schemes of the Signal & Telegraph department, responsible for the signal box next to the crossing, and that of the station buildings are clearly evident. In particular the signal box windows sashes are white, whereas those on the station are darker, probably brown. The signal box barge boards are relatively dark when compared with the wall boarding, whilst those on the station appear considerably lighter. The signals are the standard G.W.R. type which was to survive for many years, although at this period only single red spectacle plates were fitted, "all right" being indicated simply by the white light" Information from: The Broad Gauge In Cornwall. M. Jolly & P. Garnsworthy. Gwinear Road station with a locomotive on the Helston branch line with her crew and members of the station staff. Advertising on the station includes 'The Angel Hotel, Helston', 'W & A Gilbey' and 'Moon & Sons'

© From the collection of the RIC

Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867 Featured Print

Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867

This well known photograph depicts the first broad gauge passenger train to arrive at Redruth from the west on 1st March 1867. It also shows that the station has been extended towards the goods shed, revealed by the change in chimney brickwork colour. The corrugated iron roof covering to the station is shown clearly, whilst the goods shed was slate covered. It's sliding doors have been drawn across against the March cold. The locomotive is "Lance", which was one of the first contract engines built in October 1851 by Longridge and Company of Bedlington, to Gooch's "Corsair" design. Inside frames started behind the motion plate. The wheel base was 5'0"+5' 1" + 7' 8" giving a total of 17' 9". The leading wheels were 3' 6" diameter and the driving wheels 5' 9". A relatively short tank of 800 gallons capacity rested on a boiler of 4' 5" diameter with 220 tubes of 2" diameter. The engine was later destroyed in the collision occurring between Menheniot and St Germans early in the morning of 2nd December 1873 with the double headed goods drawn by 0-6-0STs "Brutus" and "Romulus". The authorisation "All right Dick" was given to the guard of a down train at Menheniot, but Lance`s guard was also called Dick and his train was started by mistake. The heavy down goods had already left St Germans and disaster was thus inevitable. The first passenger carriage is covered, whilst the second, just in view, is open to the elements. Photographer: Unknown.

© From the collection of the RIC

Street view, The Lizard, Landewednack, Cornwall. Early 1900s Featured Print

Street view, The Lizard, Landewednack, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Taken from The Square by Hills Hotel looking towards the post office on Pentreath Lane. The image shows the Great Western Railway parcels receiving office, serpentine workshops and thatched buildings. A man in the doorway of H.E. Roberts serpentine workshop is possibly J. Roberts (one of that name listed in Kelly's Directory in 1902). There were three Roberts working in Lizard Village in the early 1900s. In the background are four children outside the post office near to the village pump. The Lizard was the terminus of the first railway operated motor bus service in Great Britain when a service was introduced by the Great Western Railway on 17th August 1903. The service proved so successful that it was extended to other part of Cornwall and Devon. Photographer: Arthur Philp.

© From the collection of the RIC