Williams Almshouses, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1890s
Inner courtyard with monument and resident ladies. The almshouses were built in 1631 to the memory of Henry Williams, a woollen draper in Truro. Williams died in 1629, bequeathing land and money in a charitable trust for almshouses to be built in Pydar Street to house 10 poor widows. The trust provided them with clothes and 4 shillings per week in money. The almshouses have since been demolished with the plaque moved to the gardens of the senior citizens' bungalows of William's Court, Union Street, Truro, which were built to replace the almshouses. The monument seen in the photograph was relocated to Dairyland Farm World, Tresillian Barton, Summercourt, Newquay. Photographer: Argall.
© From the collection of the RIC