Freemasons' Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, Quay Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A view of Freemasons' Hall, also known as Duchy Palace, Stannary Palace and Shire Hall, from the corner of Quay Street and Fore Street. A young boy, carrying a case and basket, stands for the photographer. The Duchy Palace was built by Edmund Earl of Cornwall in 1292. In 1337, when the Black Prince became the Duke of Cornwall, he made the Palace his administrative centre, where the Courts, Treasury, Maritime offices and the tin industry were run from. The building, made from local stone, once reached along the quay much further than today, but it was badly damaged during the Siege of Lostwithiel in 1644. The remaining building, seen in the photograph, was formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace. The hall was sold to the Freemasons in 1878, who carried out restorations and alterations. When the building was purchased by The Prince's Foundation (formerly the Prince's Regeneration Trust) in 2009 it was on the Buildings at Risk Register. The hall has since been developed into a business and retail space to benefit the local community and economy. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC