Captain Tom Gundry, champion Cornish wrestler. Probably early 1880s
A studio portrait photograph of the champion Cornish wrestler, Thomas Gundry, wearing a wrestling jacket and two championship sashes. Gundry was born at Higher Prospidnick, Sithney, on 16th October 1818 and died at Stennack, Camborne, on 22nd October 1888. His obituary in the 'Mining Journal' of 27th October 1888 reads "Captain Tom Gundry is dead. This brief announcement will be read with regret by Cornishmen in every quarter of the world. 'Captain Tom' was the best known of the old school of Cornish wrestlers, and will be remembered for his prowess in the ring, and not as a mine agent. Born 70 years ago Captain Tom was bred in the parish of Sithney and from a child developed a strong passion for the favourite sport of the West Countryman. In the old days, wrestling was cultivated to a far higher degree than now; the leading gentlemen of the county, assisted by their patronage, presence, and financial support; and a match was the signal for an exodus of miners to witness the bouts. Captain Tom held the championship for a long period; he won many cups, and wrestled, not only in Cornwall and Devon; but in London also. It is said of him that whilst he unquestionably bought many 'backs', he never sold his own. He was at one time agent at Camborne Consols, and at another period agent at North Basset. Of late years he now and then assisted as stickler in the wrestling field. He expired at his home near Camborne, on Tuesday evening." He was married four times, the last at Treslothan, Camborne in May 1880. Photographer: John Charles Burrow.
© From the collection of the RIC
Bournonite with Quartz, Herodsfoot Mine, Lanreath, Cornwall, England
Steel-grey twinned bournonite crystals, in distinctive cog wheel formation, with colourless quartz. This fine specimen from the lead and silver mine, Herodsfoot, may have been acquired by the Royal Institution of Cornwall as part of a group of specimens purchased from Richard Talling, the great Cornish mineral dealer, for £8.10s in December 1858. Bournonite, a rare sulphide of copper, lead and antimony, was first described in 1797 by Philip Rashleigh of Menabilly in Cornwall, who included illustrated descriptions of two specimens in his publication Specimens of British Minerals, Selected from the Cabinet of Philip Rashleigh. The specimens described by Rashleigh came from Wheal Boys, an antimony mine in St Endellion parish and the type locality for bournonite.
© RIC, photographer A.G. Tindle
Malachite, Wheal Husband, Sticker, St Ewe, Cornwall, England
Botryoidal malachite coated in limonite. This specimen was drawn for Specimens of British Minerals, Selected from the Cabinet of Philip Rashleigh (1797, Volume 1, Plate 8, Figure 4) which states 'Is mammillary copper ore, of a fine green colour, with rays diverging from centres, nearly covered with black shining iron ore, which seems to be decomposing the copper ore, the green colour appearing in all parts where the fractures are made. From Huel Husband, in the parish of St Ewe'. Huel (Wheal) Husband was later incorporated into Great Hewas Mine. Rashleigh Collection.
© RIC, photographer A.G. Tindle