The Pillars and Raleigh House, Mitchell, St Newlyn East, Cornwall. Around 1925
The Pillars (or Pillars Hotel), on the left, is a Grade II listed farmhouse built in 1683. The house is dated on the timber panel over the door. Raleigh House, to the right, is a Grade II listed 17th century farmhouse. Mitchell was formerly known as St Michael or Meideshol. Sir Walter Raleigh represented the borough of Mitchell in the House of Commons when parliament convened on 19th February 1593. Glass lantern slide from a lecture, entitled 'Some Historic Cornish Beauty Spots', given by Cornishman and amateur photographer, Major Arthur William Gill, in around 1925. He was well known in Cornwall and elsewhere during the 1920s and 1930s for his presentations of stills and cine film to many groups including The Royal Institution of Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society and the London Cornish Society. The quarter plate slides which he took prolifically with his 'ordinary camera' are, in many cases, colour. These were painted by his own hand to great effect.
© From the collection of the RIC