St Kea All Hallows Church bells, Kea, Cornwall. Probably 1904
The eight bells from St Kea All Hallows Church, presumably before their installation in the new church which was consecrated in 1896. Workers from the Killiow Estate are standing behind the bells together with Mr J.C. Daubuz (Squire of Killiow Estate and owner of Daubuz tin smelting works) on the far right. The young boy's surname is Chegwidden and he was in the photograph to represent his older brother, Ernest, who had emigrated to America. Each bell bears a Latin inscription and dedication. Bells, from left to right: dedicated in memory of M.W.Coode Sept 4 1894, F.A.Coode Jan 10 1902; original bell, Royal Arms of the 15th century, brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, dedicated to R.C. Cardew, Vicar, 1898, J.C. Daubuz, Warden, 1888 and W.L Hearle, Warden, 1885; dedicated in memory of Nicholas Michell, April 10 1889; original bell, Royal Arms of the 15th century, brought from Old Kea Church in 1803; dedicated to H. Kerby, Clerk, R. Michell, Sexton, J. Sandercock, their deputy, 1886; brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, recast in 1904; dedicated to E.F.A. Daubuz, Organist, 1886, John Thomas, Choirman, 1886 and E. Chegwidden, Choirman, 1886; brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, recast in 1904. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC
Dolly Pentreaths memorial, St Pol de Leon churchyard, Paul, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A view of Dolly Pentreath's memorial set in the wall of Paul churchyard. Dolly Pentreath's main language was Cornish and she only learned a little English as an adult. She is considered by many people to be the last person to speak Cornish fluently as a first language, although this is contested by some. She died in 1777 and was buried at Paul where, in June 1860, a monument in her honour was set into the churchyard wall by Prince Louis Lucien Bonaparte, a nephew of Napoleon, and by Reverend John Carbett, the Vicar of Paul of the time. Photographer: Samuel John Govier.