Military General Service Medal, 1793-1814
This medal was awarded to Captain G.J. Call in 1848, together with the clasp 'CUIDAD RODRIGO'. It is one of 17 campaign medals awarded to members of the Call family, now in the museum collection. The medals date from the Peninsular War (1807-1814) to the Great War (1914-1918). The Call family served with the Royal Irish Regiment, which until 1881 was known as the 18th Regiment of Foot. It was also known as the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot and the 18th (The Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot. The regiment was disbanded in 1922. The medal, sometimes called the Peninsular Medal, was approved on 1st June 1847 as a retrospective award for various military actions from 1793-1814. Cuidad Rodrigo in Spain was a key border fortress during the Peninsular War, 1808-1814. It was the site of a 10 day siege by the Duke of Wellington and his troops in January 1812. Designed by William Wyon, the obverse of the circular silver medal bears the head of Queen Victoria with the inscription 'VICTORIA REGINA' 1848. The reverse depicts Queen Victoria placing a wreath on the head of the Duke of Wellington with the inscription 'TO THE BRITISH ARMY 1793-1814'. The rim is inscribed with the recipient's name, rank and regiment. The ribbon is crimson with vertical stripes of blue. TRURI : 1931.40.41
© RIC, photographer Mike Searle
Mawgan Creek, Mawgan in Meneage, Cornwall. 1978
A scenic view of Mawgan Creek, on the Helford River, with several small boats and the tide in. There is a small building on the left with a sign above the door which is not readable in the photograph. Photographer: Charles Woolf .
© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf
Cornish, Joyce Greenham, Lizard, Peninsula
Lifeboat house, Mullion Cove (Porth Mellin), Mullion, Cornwall. Around 1900
View of the Lifeboat house in about 1900. There is a boat next to the the lifeboat house. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution stationed a lifeboat at Mullion Cove in 1867. The first boat, Daniel J. Draper, remained at Mullion until 1887, performing three services and saving three lives. She was followed by the Edith (1887-1894) and the Nancy Newbon (1894-1908), neither of which were ever used. The service was withdrawn in 1908. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC