The Bullers Arms inn sign, The Square, Landrake, Cornwall. 1962
The inn sign of The Bullers Arms in Landrake with the Latin inscription 'Aquila non capit muscas' meaning 'The eagle does not catch flies'. Eagles were considered majestic animals in ancient Rome while flies were considered insignificant and a nuisance. The proverb was used to imply that noble or important people of high rank did not have the time or patience to deal with insignificant matters. Photographer: Charles Woolf .
© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf
Building the HTP warehouse on Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1911
Warehouse being built for HTP (Hosken, Trevithick and Polkinhorn), who were agricultural and grain merchants. View of the frame of the building with scaffolding and gangs of workers, including possibly a supervisor wearing a bowler hat in the centre of the photograph. Some workers are standing precariously on the top girder and many are holding the tools of their trade. The architect was Alfred J. Cornelius and the warehouse was completed in 1911. The building was later converted into 9 apartments as part of the Poltisco Wharf development. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.
© From the collection of the RIC