Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1910
The Bandstand in Victoria Gardens with the new Carvedras Viaduct in the background. The all stone structure replaced Isambard Kingdom Brunel's original timber fanned viaduct in 1902, the piers of which are still visible. The fountain, which was removed from Boscawen Street after the First World War, is not yet in place. In the background can be seen the Parish church of St George the Martyr, built in 1855. The chimney stacks of Carvedras Smelting Works, with Carvedras House in front, are clearly visible. Truro Railway Station can be seen on the skyline to the left. A boy is standing posed for the photographer, to the right of the bandstand. Victoria Gardens was created to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC