Samuel John Govier s father, Samuel Govier , and his mother, Annie, in the doorway of his photographic van, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Samuel John Govier (1871-1967) was a pioneering photographer in the late 19th and early 20th century in Cornwall. In the early years he travelled on his bicycle or in a horse drawn van before setting up in a studio in Chacewater in 1907. Later, he also had a studio in St Agnes. In retirement he became a grocer in Chacewater where he lived. In the picture, his father holds a photograph for development and a number of photographs can be seen hanging on the open door of the van. Note: the van is not the same as that shown in TRURI : Pgovis.1 as it has been modified by cutting down on the windows. Photographer: Samuel John Govier .
© RIC, photographer Govier
Lorry Crash Campaign, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. October 1990
Lostwithiel local councillors discuss with Robert Hicks MP the need for weight restrictions on the hill leading into the town, after many lorry crashes and deaths at the bottom of the hill. The photograph shows the group at the top of the lorry escape lane on the St Austell to Lostwithiel road. From left to right: Peter Moore, Traffic and Safety Officer Cornwall County Council; Mr Mannell, Chairman of Transportation Committee Cornwall County Council; Dennis Hutchings, Deputy Mayor, Lostwithiel; Fran Dennison, Town Clerk, Lostwithiel; John Reed, Mayor, Lostwithiel; Robert Hicks, MP South East Cornwall; Chief Inspector Smythe, Traffic Branch, Devon and Cornwall Constabulary; Ralph Keam, District Councillor. The following week new sign improvements were passed by the County Transportation Committee. Photographer: Jonathan Barker .
© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker
The King of Prussia Inn, Fowey, Cornwall. Post 1909
A view of The King of Prussia Inn after its rebuilding in 1886, showing the third floor added at the time of the rebuilding. The steps were added in 1909 by Walter Hicks (St Austell Brewery). The Inn is thought to have been named after the smuggler and privateer John Carter, nicknamed "The King of Prussia Cove", who is thought to have lived here in the 1780s. Fowey Town Hall is to the left of the Inn and Fowey Parish Church, St Fimbarrus, is in the background. Photographer: A.W.N.
© From the collection of the RIC