The Lennox-Boyd brothers. Around 1915
Studio photograph of Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd with his brothers. From left to right: George Edward Lennox-Boyd (1902-1943), Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd (1904-1983), Donald Breay Hague Lennox-Boyd (1906-1939), Francis Gordon Lennox-Boyd (1909-1944). The boys are dressed in outfits resembling First World War British Army officer uniforms. Born on 18th November 1904, Alan was the son of Alan Walter Lennox-Boyd and Florence Annie Begbie. Educated at Sherborne School, Dorset, and Christ Church, Oxford, he married Lady Patricia Florence Susan Guinness on 29th December 1938 and died on 8th March 1983. He held the office of Member of Parliament (Conservative) for Mid-Bedfordshire between 1931 and 1960, holding the positions of Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Labour in 1938, Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Aircraft Production in 1943, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs 1951-1952, Minister for Transport and Civil Aviation, 1952-1954 and Secretary of State for Colonial Affairs, 1954-1959. He served as Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve during the Second World War, was admitted to Inner Temple in 1941 and entitled to practise as a Barrister at Law. Appointed Privy Counsellor in 1951, he held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Bedfordshire between 1954 and 1960, was managing director of Arthur Guinness & Sons between 1959 and 1967 and appointed Companion of Honour in 1960. He was created 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton in September 1960 and that same year, his wife, Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, purchased Ince Castle in St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. In 1965, Viscount Boyd held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Cornwall. He died on 8th March 1983. The Boyd family lived at Ince Castle until 2018. George, a Major in the Highland Light Infantry, died in a military hospital in Scotland; Donald, a Captain in the Scots Guards, died in custody in Germany in events leading up to the Second World War; Francis, a Major in the Royal Scots Greys, was killed in action at Normandy, France, during the Second World War while leading 22nd Independent Parachute Company. Photographer: James Habgood, Boscombe.
© From the collection of the RIC
Sardinian Medal for Valour, Crimean War 1854-1856
This medal was awarded to Brevet Lieutenant Colonel George Frederick Stevenson Call. It is one of 17 campaign medals awarded to members of the Call family, now in the museum collection. The medals date from the Peninsular War (1807-1814) to the Great War (1914-1918). The Call family served with the Royal Irish Regiment, which until 1881 was known as the 18th Regiment of Foot. It was also known as the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot and the 18th (The Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot. The regiment was disbanded in 1922. King Victor Emmanuel II instituted the Sardinian Medal for Valour at the end of the Crimean War. It was to be presented to British officers and men of the Royal Navy and Army who had served with gallantry and distinction. 450 of these medals were issued to British soldiers. Known variously as the Sardinian Crimea medal and the Al Valore Militare, the medal is one of many honours and awards of the Crimean War period. On the obverse, the circular silver medal bears the arms of Savoy within a wreath of palm and laurel tied with a bow and the crown of Sardinia above, surrounded by the legend 'AL VALORE MILITARE' (for military valour). The reverse bears a laurel wreath surrounded by the inscription 'SPEDIZIONE D'ORIENTE 1855 1856'. The recipient's rank, name and regiment are inscribed in the centre. TRURI : 1931.40.49
© RIC, photographer Mike Searle