Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
Home > Images Dated > 2016

Images Dated 2016

Choose from 926 pictures in our Images Dated 2016 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867 Featured 2016 Print

Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867

This well known photograph depicts the first broad gauge passenger train to arrive at Redruth from the west on 1st March 1867. It also shows that the station has been extended towards the goods shed, revealed by the change in chimney brickwork colour. The corrugated iron roof covering to the station is shown clearly, whilst the goods shed was slate covered. It's sliding doors have been drawn across against the March cold. The locomotive is "Lance", which was one of the first contract engines built in October 1851 by Longridge and Company of Bedlington, to Gooch's "Corsair" design. Inside frames started behind the motion plate. The wheel base was 5'0"+5 1" + 7 8" giving a total of 17 9". The leading wheels were 3 6" diameter and the driving wheels 5 9". A relatively short tank of 800 gallons capacity rested on a boiler of 4 5" diameter with 220 tubes of 2" diameter. The engine was later destroyed in the collision occurring between Menheniot and St Germans early in the morning of 2nd December 1873 with the double headed goods drawn by 0-6-0STs "Brutus" and "Romulus". The authorisation "All right Dick" was given to the guard of a down train at Menheniot, but Lance`s guard was also called Dick and his train was started by mistake. The heavy down goods had already left St Germans and disaster was thus inevitable. The first passenger carriage is covered, whilst the second, just in view, is open to the elements. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Market Square, West Looe, Cornwall. Before 1892 Featured 2016 Print

Market Square, West Looe, Cornwall. Before 1892

A view of the market square in West Looe with the Cornish Arms public house on the left. Presumably photographed before 1892 when the inn's license was withdrawn as an immoral house (West Briton, 29.9.1892). The inn sign says R. Moore but this name does not occur in H.L. Douch's Index of Public Houses. Photographer: Surgeon Captain John Campbell

© From the collection of the RIC

Geevor Mine, Pendeen, St Just in Penwith, Cornwall. 1919 Featured 2016 Print

Geevor Mine, Pendeen, St Just in Penwith, Cornwall. 1919

Miners posed at surface of Wheel Carne shaft, holding timber working tools including an axe, saw and lump hammer. Two workers have carbide lamps, the rest have candles. The worker on the right smoking a pipe is wearing the jacket from a military uniform. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Cornish, Mining