Featured 30 Aug 2016 Print
View of Gwinear Road station looking west, Cornwall. Possibly at the opening of the Helston branch line on 9th May 1887
'This photograph was probably taken on 9th May 1887, the opening day of the Helston branch line. Every part of the railway infrastructure in view is in almost perfect condition, having been newly installed for the creation of the new junction station. The stone work to the platforms and the locking room has obviously only recently been laid. Even the staff are well turned out. The main line retains the mixed gauge, albeit relaid with cross-sleepered track, whilst the branch line bay has been laid in narrow gauge only. The bay continues beyond the station, to a buffer stop built against the newly cut back end of the original cutting side. The branch line engine is in attendance, almost certainly a 517 class 0-4-2T, complete with polished brass dome. The contrasting painting schemes of the Signal & Telegraph department, responsible for the signal box next to the crossing, and that of the station buildings are clearly evident. In particular the signal box windows sashes are white, whereas those on the station are darker, probably brown. The signal box barge boards are relatively dark when compared with the wall boarding, whilst those on the station appear considerably lighter. The signals are the standard G.W.R. type which was to survive for many years, although at this period only single red spectacle plates were fitted, "all right" being indicated simply by the white light" Information from: The Broad Gauge In Cornwall. M. Jolly & P. Garnsworthy. Gwinear Road station with a locomotive on the Helston branch line with her crew and members of the station staff. Advertising on the station includes 'The Angel Hotel, Helston', 'W & A Gilbey' and 'Moon & Sons'
© From the collection of the RIC