Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
Home > Images Dated > 2016 > May

Images Dated 2016 May

Choose from 365 pictures in our Images Dated 2016 May collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Loe Pool, Helston, Cornwall. 1920s Featured May Print

Loe Pool, Helston, Cornwall. 1920s

A 64 gun frigate was wrecked here in 1782. Glass lantern slide from a lecture, entitled Some Historic Cornish Beauty Spots, given by Cornishman and amateur photographer, Major Arthur William Gill, in around 1925. He was well known in Cornwall and elsewhere during the 1920s and 1930s for his presentations of stills and cine film to many groups including The Royal Institution of Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society and the London Cornish Society. The quarter plate slides which he took prolifically with his ordinary camera are, in many cases, colour. These were painted by his own hand to great effect

© From the collection of the RIC

Horse drawn ambulance, Truro, Cornwall. 1918 Featured May Print

Horse drawn ambulance, Truro, Cornwall. 1918

Wounded soldiers in a horse drawn ambulance probably in the grounds of the Auxiliary Naval Hospital or possibly the end of First World War celebrations at Ladock. The Police man with collar number 108 is thought to be PC Erwin French who joined the Cornwall Constabulary 11.11.1895 after service in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and retired from the police force on the 30.06.1923. He was based at Truro from 20.5.1914. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905 Featured May Print

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905

View down River Street showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). The Savings Bank was built in 1847 and closed in 1894. The building then became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. The interior of the building underwent extensive alterations, including the demolition of the rear part to build the main gallery and a west wing was added. Truro Baptist Chapel was built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the link between the two buildings. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. Photographer: Arthur Philp

© From the collection of the RIC