[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > Images Dated > 2017

Images Dated 2017

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 356 pictures in our Images Dated 2017 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Featured 2017 Print

Coverack, St Keverne, Cornwall. 1894

A horse and cart comes up the road from the village. Photographer: Herbert Hughes

© From the collection of the RIC

Beach, Boats, Cornish, Cottages, Houses, Roads, Sea, Shore, Victorian

Featured 2017 Print

Jubilee Procession in a Cornish Village, A.G. Sherwood Hunter (1846-1919)

Oil on canvas, Newlyn School, June 1897. This painting is a wonderful record of a lantern procession held to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The women and girls in the procession, all dressed in white and carrying Chinese lanterns, are shown snaking their way through the Cornish fishing village of Newlyn. George Sherwood Hunter was born in Aberdeen and visited Newlyn around the turn of the century. He settled there permanently in 1902 where he taught alongside Stanhope and Elizabeth Forbes at the Newlyn School of Painting. Like many artists associated with the Newlyn School, Hunter was interested in depicting working people around the ports and villages of Cornwall. The painting underwent considerable conservation and restoration in 2010 which meant that, for the first time in over 100 years, the exquisitely painted faces of those in the procession could be seen in all their subtle glory. The delicate beauty in the children's faces is made more remarkable when one takes into consideration the very limited palette Hunter works with

© RIC, photographer Mike Searle

Featured 2017 Print

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s

A view of River Street, looking east, showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Truro Savings Bank was built in 1847. The bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. Truro Baptist Chapel was built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the 'link' between the two buildings. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. Recorded in 1852-1853 at 27 River Street, was the premises of J. Hugo, a dyer. The business had moved to Kenwyn Street by 1878 and the building is now, in 2017, occupied by Simpsons of Cornwall. The photograph also shows a horse drawn cart and several people. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC