Skip to main content
Home > Images Dated > 2018 > April

Images Dated 2018 April

Choose from 101 pictures in our Images Dated 2018 April collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


H.T.P. Motors Ltd, Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Taken before the the last section of the river was covered over in 1938 Featured April Image

H.T.P. Motors Ltd, Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Taken before the the last section of the river was covered over in 1938

Lorry number CV 5333 is parked on the Lemon Quay side of the River Kenwyn. H.T.P. Motors Ltd. later became the site of the Pannier Market. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Cornish, Hosken Trevithick And Polkinhorn, Htp, Pre Ww2

Ince Castle, Elm Gate, St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. 1961 Featured April Image

Ince Castle, Elm Gate, St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. 1961

The main facade of Ince Castle, seen under scaffolding, during alteration work which included the addition of French windows to allow more light to the dark ground floor and extension of the service wing. The Grade I listed mansion house is thought to be the earliest brick house in Cornwall and overlooks the River Lynher, near Saltash. It was built by Henry Killigrew, Member of Parliament for West Looe, in the mid 17th century. The house was then bought by Truro merchant Edward Norsworthy in 1652. In 1722 the house was owned by John Hobart, 1st Earl of Buckinghamshire, before being sold to Pendock Neale, husband of Harriot Eliot of St Germans. In 1805, Ince was sold to Edward Smith. The house was inherited by his stepdaughter, Mary Smith, who lived there with her husband, Captain Henry Crease of the Royal Navy, and family until the 1850s. The house became rundown until it was bought and substantially remodelled by Montague Eliot (later to become 8th Earl of St Germans) in 1918. Between 1922 and 1937, Ince was owned by H.R. Somerset (known as Bobby), a well known yachtsman and founder member of the Royal Ocean Racing Club. His yacht, Jolie Brise, was the first winner of the Fastnet Race and was housed in the boathouse at Ince. Mr and Mrs James Bryce Allen owned the house between 1937 and 1960 when it was sold to Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, who was married to former Colonial Secretary Alan Lennox-Boyd, 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton. The gardens were created in the 1960s by Patricia, Lady Boyd, a keen plantswoman and vice-president of Cornwall Garden Society. Their son, Simon Lennox-Boyd, 2nd Viscount Boyd of Merton, and daughter in law, Alice, Lady Boyd, lived in the house between 1994 and 2018. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Town Crier, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. May 1988 Featured April Image

Town Crier, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. May 1988

Lostwithiel's Town Crier, Bill Doe, telling the people of the town of an event, on this occasion an auction organised by Playgroup. Bill was town crier from the mid 1970s, taking over from Harry Jewels, until the end of 1995, when Jonathan Abbiss took on the role. The Town Crier is also the Town Sergeant, in modern times a ceremonial post, requiring him to attend civic functions on behalf of the town. Bill, born in London, was evacuated to the town during the war, but enjoyed his time there so much that he returned in 1964 with his wife and 2 small children. He is pictured in Fore Street outside the town's Museum. Photographer: Jonathan Barker

© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker