Skip to main content
Home > Images Dated > 2018 > April > 12 Apr 2018

Images Dated 12th April 2018

Choose from 43 pictures in our Images Dated 12th April 2018 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.

Ince Castle, Elm Gate, St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. 1961 Featured 12 Apr 2018 Image

Ince Castle, Elm Gate, St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. 1961

The main facade of Ince Castle, seen under scaffolding, during alteration work which included the addition of French windows to allow more light to the dark ground floor and extension of the service wing. The Grade I listed mansion house is thought to be the earliest brick house in Cornwall and overlooks the River Lynher, near Saltash. It was built by Henry Killigrew, Member of Parliament for West Looe, in the mid 17th century. The house was then bought by Truro merchant Edward Norsworthy in 1652. In 1722 the house was owned by John Hobart, 1st Earl of Buckinghamshire, before being sold to Pendock Neale, husband of Harriot Eliot of St Germans. In 1805, Ince was sold to Edward Smith. The house was inherited by his stepdaughter, Mary Smith, who lived there with her husband, Captain Henry Crease of the Royal Navy, and family until the 1850s. The house became rundown until it was bought and substantially remodelled by Montague Eliot (later to become 8th Earl of St Germans) in 1918. Between 1922 and 1937, Ince was owned by H.R. Somerset (known as Bobby), a well known yachtsman and founder member of the Royal Ocean Racing Club. His yacht, Jolie Brise, was the first winner of the Fastnet Race and was housed in the boathouse at Ince. Mr and Mrs James Bryce Allen owned the house between 1937 and 1960 when it was sold to Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, who was married to former Colonial Secretary Alan Lennox-Boyd, 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton. The gardens were created in the 1960s by Patricia, Lady Boyd, a keen plantswoman and vice-president of Cornwall Garden Society. Their son, Simon Lennox-Boyd, 2nd Viscount Boyd of Merton, and daughter in law, Alice, Lady Boyd, lived in the house between 1994 and 2018. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Men Amber, Sithney, Cornwall. 1st July 1973 Featured 12 Apr 2018 Image

Men Amber, Sithney, Cornwall. 1st July 1973

Charles Woolf standing on M?n Amber (a Logan Stone) Map reference SW 650 322. Men Amber is a natural outcrop of granite located on the hill summit to the east of Nancegollan. The Logan, or rocking, stone was overthrown during the English Civil War, as it was reported to be a meeting place of local people in sympathy with Royalists after the stripping of Sithney Church. Photographer: Charles Woolf / Joyce Greenham

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Temple, Cornwall. 1964 Featured 12 Apr 2018 Image

Temple, Cornwall. 1964

View from the lane near the church. The top of the castellated tower of which can just be discerned on the lower left of the picture behind a tree. In the middle ground of the picture is Merrifield Farm. To the right of the farm, behind a tree, can be seen the conical spoil tip of Cardinham China Clay Works. The name of this China Clay Works could be a local term as it is sited on the edge of Cardinham Moor. However, it is marked as Glynn Valley China Clay Works (disused) on the O/S six inch map 1907. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf