Skip to main content
Home > Images Dated > 2018 > September

Images Dated 2018 September

Choose from 63 pictures in our Images Dated 2018 September collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Goonvrea, Perranarworthal, Cornwall. December 1924 Featured September Image

Goonvrea, Perranarworthal, Cornwall. December 1924

A general view of Goonvrea from a distance with Cliff House below. In 1980, Rex Barratt writes in his book, Stately Homes in and Around Truro, "Goonvrea, probably built by the Fox family of Falmouth and later owned and occupied by Sir Frederick Martin Williams, M.P. for Truro (1865-1878), who was a director of the Perran Iron Foundry and the first Provincial Grand Master of Mark Masons of Cornwall. Later owners were J.P. Paull, and W.E. Harris, who was there in 1939. During the last war it was utilised by U.S. troops and is now a well-known hotel". The hotel was owned by Tony and Joyce Webb and is reported to have been devastated by fire in 1982. By the early 1990s new build houses were erected on the site. The stable block remained standing and has since been converted into houses. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC

Battery of Cornish stamps with engine man, miners and grass captain (or surface captain) in white, Wheal Sparnon, Redruth, Cornwall. Around 1865 Featured September Image

Battery of Cornish stamps with engine man, miners and grass captain (or surface captain) in white, Wheal Sparnon, Redruth, Cornwall. Around 1865

The area in the photograph is now covered by Clinton Road, Park Road and Albany Road, Redruth. According to the Ordnance Survey Six Inch map Cornwall LXIII. NE, surveyed 1877 to 1879, the mine is disused at that time. By the same OS area map Cornwall LXIII. NE Revised 1906, the whole are is covered in housing. The mine produced copper, as well as traces of cobalt and gold. Thomas Spargo states in his book, The Mines of Cornwall (1865), that "Wheal Sparnon was in the the parish of Redruth, Cornwall, in 6,000 shares. Secretary, Mr G.H. Cardozo, London. Purser, Mr W.P. Cardozo, Camborne. Manager, Captain Wm. Tregay, Redruth. Rocks, granite and clay-slate, 60 men employed in the mine, operations on the surface of which commenced in 1864. Land owner, Lord Clinton. Dues 1-20th. Depth of adit, 18 fathoms; depth under adit, 60 fathoms. A 70-inch pumping-engine just completed, also a 22-inch winding-engine. Little has been as yet been done by the Company under the surface; but it is generally believed that enormous quantities of tin will be raised after the mine has been cleared of water". Photographer: Probably Henry Opie

© From the collection of the RIC

Protest Group, Tywardreath Highway, Tywardreath, Cornwall. July 1991 Featured September Image

Protest Group, Tywardreath Highway, Tywardreath, Cornwall. July 1991

Robert Hicks, South East Cornwall MP, (right) listens to representatives of St Blaise Road Action Group at the top of the steep A390 Penpillick Hill, an accident black spot. A new road was proposed to alleviate traffic on this road and the Action Group members were all affected by the proposal. With Mr Hicks are Bill Richardson, owner of a nearby smallholding; Tony Hepworth, owner of Polharmon Farm; and Trevor Alexander, County Councillor for St Blazey, Par and Tywardreath. Photographer: Jonathan Barker

© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker