Skip to main content
Home > Images Dated > 2019 > April > 2 Apr 2019

Images Dated 2nd April 2019

Choose from 64 pictures in our Images Dated 2nd April 2019 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Pilchard drift boat, Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893 Featured 2 Apr 2019 Print

Pilchard drift boat, Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893

Pilchard drift boat on the River Kenwyn at Back Quay in Truro showing Samuel Brokenshire's carriage factory in the background. A number of carts and carriages are parked on the quay, with a number of onlookers who are possibly workers from the factory. The coach builder, Samuel Brokenshire (also a shoeing smith) is recorded in Kelly's Directory, 1889, at Back Quay, Royal Hotel Yard, Truro. The boat, 364FH, was registered in Falmouth. The main Fisheries Exhibition site was a field at the top of Lemon Street and the exhibition ran from 25th July 1893 for a month. Number 12 in a series of glass lantern slides recording the Fisheries Exhibition. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Exhibition entrance, Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893 Featured 2 Apr 2019 Print

Exhibition entrance, Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893

View showing the castellated entrance of the Fisheries Exhibition. The site of the exhibition was a field at the top of Lemon Street and the exhibition ran from 25th July 1893 for a month. The Royal Coat of Arms for the United Kingdom can be seen underneath the entrance archway with the Lion Rampant of Scotland, the Imperial Crown and Celtic harp of Ireland above. Three flags are flying, including the Union Jack flag in the centre. An advert placed in The Cornishman on 7th September 1893 states that the materials used in the construction of the exhibition buildings were to be sold by public auction on 20th September 1893 at The Green in Truro. Number 1 in a series of glass lantern slides recording the Fisheries Exhibition. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965 Featured 2 Apr 2019 Print

The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965

The photograph shows the front elevation of the Grammar School in a dilapidated condition after years of neglect. Situated on Queen Street is a granite facade on which there is the Coat of Arms of Viscount Mount Edgcumbe and Valletort (Valletort being the title inherited on the death of a relative in Plymouth). This is the only remaining part of the Old Grammar School which was built by Lord Edgcumbe in 1781. The building was erected over the former Market Hall, with the upstairs intended for an Assembly Room and Concert Hall. However, became the Grammar Schoolroom instead. The Corporation paid twenty pounds per year, which enabled it to nominate six local boys to be educated free. The Grammar School closed in 1842, but schooling on the premises continued with a Writing or Commercial School until the end of the 19th century. It has had many uses since, including balls, concerts and meetings. Soup kitchens were run from the building in 1898-1899 and again during the Depression in the 1920s-1930s. Before the town had a cinema, silent movies were shown in the upstairs room and school children were taught the art of butter-making. The Sherwood Foresters were billeted there during the First World War and the Town Band later used the building for their practice room. The forecourt was used as a garage for repairs, car hire and petrol sales for over 20 years until the Second World War when it was used to billet US soldiers. After many years of neglect and disrepair, a redevelopment scheme provided sixteen flats for local senior citizens. This development retained the old facade and opened on 15th September 1981. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf