Skip to main content

[email protected]
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Images Dated > 2019 > April

Images Dated 2019 April

Choose from 117 pictures in our Images Dated 2019 April collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Victoria, Australia exhibit at the Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893 Featured April Image

Victoria, Australia exhibit at the Cornwall County Fisheries Exhibition, Truro, Cornwall. July to August 1893

A view of the exhibit Drawings of fish found in Victorian waters, Forwarded by the Government of Victoria, Australia'. Also in the photograph is a collection of fish lent by the Dominion of Canada. The exhibition site was a field at the top of Lemon Street and the exhibition ran from 25th July 1893 for a month. An advert placed in The Cornishman on 7th September 1893 states that the materials used in the construction of the exhibition buildings were to be sold by public auction on 20th September 1893 at The Green in Truro. Number 4 in a series of glass lantern slides recording the Fisheries Exhibition. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973 Featured April Image

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973

A view of the cattle market when empty. The cattle market was situated off North Street in an area now occupied the town car park, which is entered from Restormel Road. Markets have been held in Lostwithiel since the 12th century. What sort of markets is not clear, but prior to the cattle market being opened they were held in Queens Street. The site was formerly known as the old iron mine site, containing the mines offices off North Street. These in turn became the cattle market offices and the market opened in 1908. By the 1930s most farmers were using motor transport and the single entrance at North Street was becoming problematic, forcing some farmers to park their vehicles on Quay Street and drive their cattle through the town via Monmouth Lane (formerly known as Tram Lane) to the Market. The former tramway ran from Restormel Iron Mine, above and near Restormel Castle, down to the harbour in Quay Road, passing through the cattle market site, across North Street into Monmouth Lane across Fore Street, along Quay Street and under the railway bridge into what later became a public park. By 1973 the market was heavily subsidised and it eventually closed in 1976. The sheds in the the photograph are standing on what was the tramway track bed, running right to left. Opposite the sheds, out of picture, are the market offices. They were formerly the iron mine offices, or Count House, which had been modernised for the cattle market administration. The offices still stand today, but have been altered and are used for modern functions. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965 Featured April Image

The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965

The photograph shows the front elevation of the Grammar School in a dilapidated condition after years of neglect. Situated on Queen Street is a granite facade on which there is the Coat of Arms of Viscount Mount Edgcumbe and Valletort (Valletort being the title inherited on the death of a relative in Plymouth). This is the only remaining part of the Old Grammar School which was built by Lord Edgcumbe in 1781. The building was erected over the former Market Hall, with the upstairs intended for an Assembly Room and Concert Hall. However, became the Grammar Schoolroom instead. The Corporation paid twenty pounds per year, which enabled it to nominate six local boys to be educated free. The Grammar School closed in 1842, but schooling on the premises continued with a Writing or Commercial School until the end of the 19th century. It has had many uses since, including balls, concerts and meetings. Soup kitchens were run from the building in 1898-1899 and again during the Depression in the 1920s-1930s. Before the town had a cinema, silent movies were shown in the upstairs room and school children were taught the art of butter-making. The Sherwood Foresters were billeted there during the First World War and the Town Band later used the building for their practice room. The forecourt was used as a garage for repairs, car hire and petrol sales for over 20 years until the Second World War when it was used to billet US soldiers. After many years of neglect and disrepair, a redevelopment scheme provided sixteen flats for local senior citizens. This development retained the old facade and opened on 15th September 1981. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf