[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > Images Dated > 2019 > January > 28 Jan 2019

Pictures Dated 28th January 2019

Choose from 28 pictures in our Pictures Dated 28th January 2019 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Featured 28 Jan 2019 Image

General view of St Piran's Oratory with railings, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. 1905

A view of the Oratory exposed in the dunes and surrounded by the Victorian railings. Taken before the excavations of 1910. Two men and a woman stand outside the railings and a young woman is seated inside. St Piran's Oratory survives as an early Christian chapel with all four walls standing. It represents the supposed site where St Piran, an Irish saint came ashore and established a Christian centre of worship in the sixth or seventh centuries AD. The site has a documented entry in the Domesday book. There is a small nave, chancel and stone bench around much of the interior plus a cemetery. Situated on Penhale Sands, east of Perranporth, the Oratory has been subject to blown sands over the years. Excavations were carried out in 1835 and 1843 and then railings were erected around the site in the 1890s. In 1910 it was re-excavated and a concrete 'preserving structure' constructed over it. A large number of burials were uncovered during the works. The concrete shell was largely demolished in 1980 and the chapel reburied. The site was re-excavated in 2014-2015. Photographer: Unknown.

© From the collection of the RIC

Featured 28 Jan 2019 Image

A view of St Piran's Oratory surrounded by railings, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Between 1890s and 1910

A general view looking south of the oratory surrounded by the iron railings which were erected in the 1890s. This is before the excavations of 1910. A lady with a parasol is seated on the far right on the grass. St Piran's Oratory survives as an early Christian chapel with all four walls standing. It represents the supposed site where St Piran, an Irish saint came ashore and established a Christian centre of worship in the sixth or seventh centuries AD. The site has a documented entry in the Domesday book. There is a small nave, chancel and stone bench around much of the interior plus a cemetery. Situated on Penhale Sands, east of Perranporth, the Oratory has been subject to blown sands over the years. Excavations were carried out in 1835 and 1843 and then railings were erected around the site in the 1890s. In 1910 it was re-excavated and a concrete 'preserving structure' constructed over it. A large number of burials were uncovered during the works. The concrete shell was largely demolished in 1980 and the chapel reburied. The site was re-excavated in 2014-2015. Photographer: Herbert Hughes.

© From the collection of the RIC