Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Images Dated > 2019 > July

Images Dated 2019 July

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 30 pictures in our Images Dated 2019 July collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1911 Featured July Print

Lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1911

A view of Lower Lemon Street looking from Lemon Bridge towards Farrow's Bank and the Red Lion Hotel in Boscawen Street. The street is decorated with flags and garlands, possibly for the Coronation of George V in 1911, or maybe for the Bath and West Show which was held in Truro in 1913. There are lots of people in the street, looking very well dressed, together with a policeman, and two maids looking out of an upstairs window in the Royal Hotel at 82 Lemon Street. There is also a motor car driving through. The Cathedral can be seen in the background. Photographer: Arthur Philp

© From the collection of the RIC

J. Davies Enys, Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929) Featured July Print

J. Davies Enys, Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929)

Oil on canvas, Newlyn School, early 20th century. John Davies Enys (1837-1912) was born at Enys, near Penryn, Cornwall, and emigrated to New Zealand in 1861. He was devoted to the natural sciences and travelled widely in search of specimens. Despite his scientific discoveries and published papers, Enys only ever saw himself as a 'gentleman collector'. He sent many objects back to Cornwall from New Zealand, some of which are in the Royal Cornwall Museum collections. He returned to the Enys Estate in 1891, which he inherited in 1906. Enys was twice President of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, in 1893-1895 and again from 1911 until his death in 1912. Mount Enys, the highest peak in the Craigieburn Range, Canterbury, is named after him. Henry Scott Tuke was born into a Quaker family in Lawrence Street, York. In 1859 the family moved to Falmouth, where his father Daniel Tuke, a physician, established a practice. Tuke was encouraged to draw and paint from an early age and some of his earliest drawings, aged four or five years old, were published in 1895. In 1875, he enrolled in the Slade School of Art. Initially his father paid for his tuition but in 1877 Tuke won a scholarship, which allowed him to continue his training at the Slade and in Italy in 1880. From 1881 to 1883 he was in Paris where he met the artist Jules Bastien-Lepage, who encouraged him to paint en plein air (in the open air) a method of working that came to dominate his practice. While studying in France, Tuke decided to move to Newlyn, Cornwall where many of his Slade and Parisian friends had already formed the Newlyn School of painters. He received several lucrative commissions there, after exhibiting his work at the Royal Academy of Art in London. In 1885, he returned to Falmouth where many of his major works were produced. He became an established artist and was elected to full membership of the Royal Academy in 1914. Tuke suffered a heart attack in 1928 and died in March 1929. In his will he left generous amounts of money to some of the men who, as boys, had been his models. Today he is remembered mainly for his oil paintings of young men, but in addition to his achievements as a figurative painter, he was an established maritime artist and produced as many portraits of sailing ships as he did human figures. He was a prolific artist, over 1,300 works are listed and more are still being discovered

© RIC

The Lander Monument, Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s Featured July Print

The Lander Monument, Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

A close-up view of the Lander Monument from the top of Lemon Street. A woman with a child in a pushchair stands beside the railings outside 5 Upper Lemon Villas while a man stands next to the town house at 1 Falmouth Road. The Lander Monument was erected at the top of Lemon Street in 1835. The column was designed by Philip Sambell, who had overcome the difficulty of being born deaf to become a distinguished architect. The Monument celebrates the discoveries, including the discovery of the source of the River Niger in 1827, of the Lander brothers, Richard and John. The statue of Richard by Neville Northy Burnard was added in 1852 to commemorate his death during an expedition. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC