Skip to main content
Home > Images Dated > 2019 > September

Images Dated 2019 September

Choose from 56 pictures in our Images Dated 2019 September collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Five little girls, Polperro, Cornwall. 1860-1870s Featured September Print

Five little girls, Polperro, Cornwall. 1860-1870s

A group of five young girls, comprising two older girls, two toddlers and a baby. The second from the left is probably Jane Ann Libby. Photographic print from the manuscript The History of Polperro by Thomas Q. Couch (1878), which expanded on Jonathan Couch's work of the same name, published in 1871. Photographer: Lewis Harding

© From the collection of the RIC

Harbour, Polperro, Cornwall. 1860-1870s Featured September Print

Harbour, Polperro, Cornwall. 1860-1870s

A schooner and other vessels in the harbour with Chapel Rock, also known as Peak Rock, behind. The net loft can be seen on the right hand side of the photograph. Philip M. Correll (1992) suggests that the schooner may have brought coal from Runcorn in Cheshire or salt of the rougher sort from Cadiz. Photographic print from the manuscript The History of Polperro by Thomas Q. Couch (1878), which expanded on Jonathan Couch's work of the same name, published in 1871. Photographer: Lewis Harding

© From the collection of the RIC

Christmas lights, Royal Cornwall Museum, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 22nd November 2018 Featured September Print

Christmas lights, Royal Cornwall Museum, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 22nd November 2018

A view of Royal Cornwall Museum decorated in Christmas lights. The lights were switched on the day before at the same time as the City of Lights, Truro's midwinter lantern festival, moved through the streets. The museum, art gallery and library was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1919. Prior to this date, the collections of the Royal Institution of Cornwall had been housed in part of the former home of the Vivian family in Union Place, Truro. The main part of the museum building seen today was formerly Truro Savings Bank, built in 1847. The Savings Bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. The right hand part of the building was formerly Truro Baptist Chapel, built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the link building. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. The architect of both original buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Photographer: Nicki Foley

© RIC, photographer Nicki Foley