Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Images Dated

Images Dated

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 3,054 pictures in our Images Dated collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Timber Barque off Pendennis, Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929) Featured Images Dated Print

Timber Barque off Pendennis, Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929)

Oil on canvas, Newlyn School, 1897. Henry Scott Tuke was born into a Quaker family in Lawrence Street, York. In 1859 the family moved to Falmouth, where his father Daniel Tuke, a physician, established a practice. Tuke was encouraged to draw and paint from an early age and some of his earliest drawings, aged four or five years old, were published in 1895. In 1875, he enrolled in the Slade School of Art. Initially his father paid for his tuition but in 1877 Tuke won a scholarship, which allowed him to continue his training at the Slade and in Italy in 1880. From 1881 to 1883 he was in Paris where he met the artist Jules Bastien-Lepage, who encouraged him to paint en plein air (in the open air) a method of working that came to dominate his practice. While studying in France, Tuke decided to move to Newlyn, Cornwall where many of his Slade and Parisian friends had already formed the Newlyn School of painters. He received several lucrative commissions there, after exhibiting his work at the Royal Academy of Art in London. In 1885, he returned to Falmouth where many of his major works were produced. He became an established artist and was elected to full membership of the Royal Academy in 1914. Tuke suffered a heart attack in 1928 and died in March 1929. In his will he left generous amounts of money to some of the men who, as boys, had been his models. Today he is remembered mainly for his oil paintings of young men, but in addition to his achievements as a figurative painter, he was an established maritime artist and produced as many portraits of sailing ships as he did human figures. He was a prolific artist, over 1,300 works are listed and more are still being discovered

© RIC

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s Featured Images Dated Print

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s

A view of River Street, looking east, showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Truro Savings Bank was built in 1847. The bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. Truro Baptist Chapel was built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the link between the two buildings. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. Recorded in 1852-1853 at 27 River Street, was the premises of J. Hugo, a dyer. The business had moved to Kenwyn Street by 1878 and the building is now, in 2017, occupied by Simpsons of Cornwall. The photograph also shows a horse drawn cart and several people. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

The ship, Bay of Panama, Falmouth, Cornwall. March 1891 Featured Images Dated Print

The ship, Bay of Panama, Falmouth, Cornwall. March 1891

Four masted ship, wrecked on Nare Point, Falmouth in the great blizzard of 10 March 1891. She was bound from Calcutta to Dundee with 13000 bales of jute. Captain David Wright hove to in deteriorating weather as he approached the Cornish coast to take soundings. Later, forereaching under bare poles in a blinding blizzard she drove on to the cliffs at Nare Point, 7 miles from Falmouth. The captain, his wife and several of the crew were drowned, others froze to death clinging to the rigging. There were only 17 survivors out of a ship's company of 40. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC