[email protected]
Image Licensing since 2004
 

Lis Escop, Kenwyn, Cornwall. Around 1910

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

Front view of Lis Escop (Cornish for Bishop's Court) in winter. Originally the Kenwyn Vicarage, in 1876 it became the residence of the Bishops of Truro. Around 1906, the Chapel and dining room, designed by E.H. Sedding and pictured in the centre of the house, were added by Bishop Stubbs. Therefore, the date of the photograph is around 1910 when these were completed. The bell turret was reportedly partially copied from the porch of St Mary's in Oxford. The house was stayed in by convalescing officers and Belgian refugees during the First World War. From 1953 until 1982 it was known as Copeland Court and was used by Truro Cathedral School as classrooms and a house for the headmaster. The house was named in memory of Geoffrey Copeland of Trelissick, a former pupil whose family gifted the funds necessary to purchase the property for the school. Copeland Court became a convent for the Community of the Epiphany in 1983. Renamed Epiphany House in 2001 the house became a conference and retreat centre. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 15183478

Date: 3rd July 2018

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.269262, -5.063344

: TRURI : KWNct.11

Image Size: 8313 x 6255 Pixels

Filesize is 12.32MB

Associated Categories: Kenwyn

Keywords: church, cornish, religion, truro, victorian