Skip to main content

[email protected]
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Places > Lostwithiel

Lostwithiel Gallery

Choose from 198 pictures in our Lostwithiel collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Imperial Service Medal presentation to Bruce Netherton at Restormel Castle, Lanlivery Parish, Cornwall. June 1989 Featured Lostwithiel Image

Imperial Service Medal presentation to Bruce Netherton at Restormel Castle, Lanlivery Parish, Cornwall. June 1989

Bruce Netherton, centre, accompanied by his wife Florence, receives the Imperial Service Medal from Beric Morley, Regional Director English Heritage. Mr Netherton worked for 40 years at Restormel Castle, 30 of them in charge as custodian, and had already the Queen's Jubilee Medal. Bruce, who retired in 1986, remembers welcoming many visitors to the castle including Queen Elizabeth (later known as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother) in 1950 when the entrance gates had to be taken down to allow her Rolls Royce to enter the grounds. Photographer: Jonathan Barker

© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker

Coulson Park Flood, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1993 Featured Lostwithiel Image

Coulson Park Flood, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1993

A van from T.J. Brent, which is involved in river and road widening work in Coulson Park makes its way gingerly during the 5.9 metres high tide which caused flooding in the park. Although the flood affected the park area, the parts of the town which traditionally are prone to flooding on this occasion were fine. Lostwithiel has always had a flooding problem, especially in properties near the River Fowey. Over the years flood prevention schemes have been installed with partial success. Photographer: Jonathan Barker

© RIC, photographer Jonathan Barker

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973 Featured Lostwithiel Image

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973

A view of the cattle market when empty. The cattle market was situated off North Street in an area now occupied the town car park, which is entered from Restormel Road. Markets have been held in Lostwithiel since the 12th century. What sort of markets is not clear, but prior to the cattle market being opened they were held in Queens Street. The site was formerly known as the old iron mine site, containing the mines offices off North Street. These in turn became the cattle market offices and the market opened in 1908. By the 1930s most farmers were using motor transport and the single entrance at North Street was becoming problematic, forcing some farmers to park their vehicles on Quay Street and drive their cattle through the town via Monmouth Lane (formerly known as Tram Lane) to the Market. The former tramway ran from Restormel Iron Mine, above and near Restormel Castle, down to the harbour in Quay Road, passing through the cattle market site, across North Street into Monmouth Lane across Fore Street, along Quay Street and under the railway bridge into what later became a public park. By 1973 the market was heavily subsidised and it eventually closed in 1976. The sheds in the the photograph are standing on what was the tramway track bed, running right to left. Opposite the sheds, out of picture, are the market offices. They were formerly the iron mine offices, or Count House, which had been modernised for the cattle market administration. The offices still stand today, but have been altered and are used for modern functions. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf