Skip to main content

Lostwithiel Bridge, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Probably 1914

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A view of the bridge from the south side, with pony traps in the river for washing. A man is sitting on a bench on the river bank. The bridge over the River Fowey is described in British Listed Buildings as mid 15th century, with additional flood arch of 18th century and later repairs. Slatestone rubble with chamfered granite copings to parapet walls. The bridge runs east/west across the river, with the 18th century works to the east. There are five pointed arches, with relieving arches. From the south, there is a low four centred arch to the left and four main arches. The two main arches to the left are slightly taller, with cutwaters between the refuges on top. The five arches are 13 feet in span and to the right, there is a sixth taller round flood arch with buttress to the left and smaller round floor arch, rebuilt in the 18th century. The parapets were added in 1676 and are splayed back at the west end, extending overall by around 30 feet. The roadway is 11 feet wide. (Sources: Henderson, C. and Coates, H., Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928). Photographer: Probably Herbert Hughes

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 18842323

Date: 2nd April 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.406021, -4.675068

: TRURI : LOSbr.2

Image Size: 8108 x 6258 Pixels

Filesize is 10.29MB

Associated Categories: Lostwithiel

Keywords: ancient, architecture, cornish, monument, roadway, scheduled, town, tudor, waterway