Skip to main content

A distant view of two Marconi wireless towers and the Poldhu Hotel, Poldhu, Mullion, Cornwall. Probably 1920s

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A distant view of a two-masted arrangement of 200ft Marconi towers at Poldhu. Originally recorded as the two-masted tower installation used by Guglielmo Marconi to transmit the first transatlantic radio message on 12th December 1901, it is now thought that this photograph may show a later two-masted tubular steel arrangement dating from around 1923-1924. Marconi's original masts were damaged by storms and replaced by a four lattice wooden design by early 1902. Poldhu was taken over by the Royal Navy after the First World War and continued to operate as a research station until 1933, after which the site was cleared and donated to the National Trust. A granite monument erected in 1937 by the Marconi Company now stands on the site. The photograph is taken from Poldhu Cove and a number of people can be seen on the beach. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 18884913

Date: 8th April 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.027991, -5.240468

: TRURI : MULpu.4

Image Size: 8137 x 5833 Pixels

Filesize is 11.67MB

Associated Categories: Mullion

Keywords: beach, cap, coast, coastal, coastline, communication, communications, cornish, lizard, men, peninsula, people, pioneer, pioneering, sand, sea