Skip to main content
[email protected]
Image Licensing since 2004

The four wooden Marconi wireless towers at Poldhu, Mullion, Cornwall. Before 1912

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A view of the four wooden 200ft Marconi towers at Poldhu, built by early 1902, showing the guide wires and signal station buildings. View from the back of the Wireless Cottages towards the Poldhu Hotel. The earlier two-masted tower installation, which was used by Guglielmo Marconi to transmit the first transatlantic radio message on 12th December 1901, was damaged by storms. Poldhu was taken over by the Royal Navy after the First World War and continued to operate as a research station until 1933, after which the site was cleared and donated to the National Trust. A granite monument erected in 1937 by the Marconi Company now stands on the site. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 19005918

Date: 21st May 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.027991, -5.240468

: TRURI : MULpu.6

Image Size: 8071 x 5847 Pixels

Filesize is 12.28MB

Associated Categories: Mullion

Keywords: cliffs, coast, coastal, coastline, communication, communications, cornish, cove, lizard, peninsula, pioneer, pioneering, sea