Skip to main content
[email protected]
Image Licensing since 2004

The four wooden Marconi wireless towers at Poldhu, Mullion, Cornwall. Probably around 1905

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A view of the four wooden 200ft Marconi towers at Poldhu, built by early 1902, showing the guide wires and signal station buildings. View from across the beach at Poldhu, showing the hotel which opened in 1901. The earlier two-masted tower installation, which was used by Guglielmo Marconi to transmit the first transatlantic radio message on 12th December 1901, was damaged by storms. The tall mast on the right for receiving was not there in 1903 and was gone by 1912. Poldhu was taken over by the Royal Navy after the First World War and continued to operate as a research station until 1933, after which the site was cleared and donated to the National Trust. A granite monument, erected in 1937 by the Marconi Company, now stands on the site. Photographer: Canon Henry Holroyd Mills

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 19005922

Date: 21st May 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.027991, -5.240468

: TRURI : MULpu.8

Image Size: 8528 x 6387 Pixels

Filesize is 12.86MB

Associated Categories: Mullion

Keywords: cliffs, coast, coastal, coastline, communication, communications, cornish, cove, lizard, peninsula, pioneer, pioneering, sand, sea