The fountain lawn, Morrab Gardens, Penzance, Cornwall. 3rd June 1904
Morrab Gardens looking towards St Mary's Place and St Mary's Terrace. Two ladies and a man are standing to the right hand side of the fountain. Morrab House was purchased in 1888 by Penzance Corporation for the development of a public park and library. The gardens were designed by Reginald Upcher and officially opened on 27th September 1889. The elaborate cast iron fountain was not included in Upcher's plan of 1889 and comprises a pedestal ornamented with dolphins and cherubs riding tortoises, all of which incorporated water jets. The upper part of the fountain comprises a a finial in the form of a globe surmounted by an otter holding a fish in its mouth which also incorporated water jets. Photographer: Unknown.