Skip to main content
emoji_people
Please order early for Christmas to avoid disappointment. More details here...
card_giftcard
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Places > Perranzabuloe

Perranzabuloe Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 28 pictures in our Perranzabuloe collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Categories
Agriculture
Archaeology
Fine Art
First World War
Mining
Museum Objects
People
Places
> Bodmin
> Boscastle
> Breage
> Bude
> Cadgwith
> Calenick
> Camborne
> Chacewater
> Constantine
> Coverack
> Crowan
> Cubert
> Falmouth
> Feock
> Flushing
> Fowey
> Gerrans
> Gorran Haven
> Grampound
> Gunwalloe
> Gwennap
> Gwennap Pit
> Gwinear
> Helford
> Helston
> Idless
> Illogan
> Isles of Scilly
> Kea
> Kenwyn
> Kynance
> Ladock
> Landewednack
> Lanlivery
> Lanteglos by Fowey
> Launceston
> Lelant
> Liskeard
> Little Petherick
> Looe
> Lostwithiel
> Luxulyan
> Maker
> Malpas
> Mawgan in Meneage
> Mawnan
> Mevagissey
> Morvah
> Morval
> Morwenstow
> Mousehole
> Mullion
> Mylor
> Newlyn
> Newquay
> Padstow
> Penryn
> Penzance
> Perranarworthal
> Perranporth
> Perranzabuloe
> Philleigh
> Polperro
> Port Gaverne
> Port Isaac
> Port Quin
> Porthallow
> Porthgwarra
> Porthoustock
> Porthtowan
> Portloe
> Portreath
> Poundstock
> Probus
> Rame
> Redruth
> Restormel
> Roche
> Ruan Lanihorne
> Ruan Minor
> Sennen
> Sithney
> St Agnes
> St Austell
> St Buryan
> St Clement
> St Clether
> St Columb Major
> St Columb Minor
> St Eval
> St Hilary
> St Ives
> St Juliot
> St Just in Penwith
> St Keverne
> St Kew
> St Levan
> St Mawes
> St Mawgan in Pydar
> St Merryn
> St Michael Penkivel
> St Michael's Mount
> St Minver
> St Newlyn East
> St Stephen in Brannel
> St Stephens by Saltash
> St Teath
> St Tudy
> St Veep
> Tintagel
> Tregony
> Tresillian
> Trevalga
> Truro
> Tywardreath
> Veryan
> Wadebridge
> Wendron
> Zennor
Railways
Royal Institution of Cornwall
Second World War
Ships
Sports
Transport
Images Dated
T.F.G. Dexter at St Pirans Oratory, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. 13th September 1920 Featured Perranzabuloe Print

T.F.G. Dexter at St Pirans Oratory, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. 13th September 1920

Thomas Francis George Dexter (c. 1860-1933), the Antiquarian, standing by the entrance at the Oratory. St Piran's Oratory survives as an early Christian chapel with all four walls standing. It represents the supposed site where St Piran, an Irish saint came ashore and established a Christian centre of worship in the sixth or seventh centuries AD. The site has a documented entry in the Domesday book. There is a small nave, chancel and stone bench around much of the interior plus a cemetery. Situated on Penhale Sands, east of Perranporth, the Oratory has been subject to blown sands over the years. Excavations were carried out in 1835 and 1843 and then railings were erected around the site in the 1890s. In 1910 it was re-excavated and a concrete preserving structure constructed over it. A large number of burials were uncovered during the works. The concrete shell was largely demolished in 1980 and the chapel reburied. The site was re-excavated in 2014-2015. Dexter wrote, amongst other works, St Piran. A Study in Celtic Hagiology and in Cornish Church History (Thesis, University of St Andrews, 1922); A Cornish Legend: The Three Churches Of Perranzabuloe (1923); and The Lost Church (1930s). Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

A distant view of Bishop Frere in procession to St Pirans Oratory, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Between 1923 and 1935 Featured Perranzabuloe Print

A distant view of Bishop Frere in procession to St Pirans Oratory, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Between 1923 and 1935

A distant view of a procession crossing the dunes to the oratory for a service under Bishop Frere. St Piran's Oratory survives as an early Christian chapel with all four walls standing. It represents the supposed site where St Piran, an Irish saint came ashore and established a Christian centre of worship in the sixth or seventh centuries AD. The site has a documented entry in the Domesday book. There is a small nave, chancel and stone bench around much of the interior plus a cemetery. Situated on Penhale Sands, east of Perranporth, the Oratory has been subject to blown sands over the years. Excavations were carried out in 1835 and 1843 and then railings were erected around the site in the 1890s. In 1910 it was re-excavated and a concrete preserving structure constructed over it. A large number of burials were uncovered during the works. The concrete shell was largely demolished in 1980 and the chapel reburied. The site was re-excavated in 2014-2015. Walter Frere (1863-1938) was appointed Bishop of Truro in 1923 and held this position until 1935. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC