Skip to main content

Lanherne Convent, St Mawgan in Pydar, Cornwall. Around 1925

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

The Nunnery, a Tudor house, was the manor house of the Arundells and was given to Carmelite nuns, refugees from the French Revolution. Glass lantern slide from a lecture, entitled Some Historic Cornish Beauty Spots, given by Cornishman and amateur photographer, Major Arthur William Gill, in around 1925. He was well known in Cornwall and elsewhere during the 1920s and 1930s for his presentations of stills and cine film to many groups including The Royal Institution of Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society and the London Cornish Society. The quarter plate slides which he took prolifically with his ordinary camera are, in many cases, colour. These were painted by his own hand to great effect

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 11490396

Date: 17th December 2015

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.454329, -4.997842

: TRURI : 1990.2.12.37

Image Size: 4380 x 3652 Pixels

Filesize is 4.24MB (Original 48.01MB)

Associated Categories: St Mawgan in Pydar

Keywords: cornish