Skip to main content

St Constantines well, Constantine Bay, Cornwall. 1961

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A good example of a holy well with a well basin, bench seat and well house. The well basin has clear water which forms a narrow channel through the well house. Along with St Constantine's chapel, the well was a place of pilgrimage in medieval times. Pilgrims would wash their feet in the water which was believed to have miraculous properties. It was probably abandoned when the sand shifted and the settlement moved inland. The well is mentioned in 1700 but then disappeared beneath the sand and was seen again in 1911 when the sands moved. The well was restored in 1923 and in the 1950s a slate shelter was built over it. Photographer: Charles Woolf

Copyright © RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Media ID 19584207

Date: 24th October 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.530483, -4.983143

: TRURI : EMERw.3b

Image Size: 8026 x 5380 Pixels

Filesize is 7.88MB

Associated Categories: St Merryn

Keywords: archaeology, cornish, greenham, holy sites, joyce, middle ages, ruins