Skip to main content
Home > Places > Truro

Truro Gallery

Choose from 508 pictures in our Truro collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Vivian Terrace, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 20th century Featured Truro Image

Vivian Terrace, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 20th century

A view of Vivian Terrace looking towards the Lander Monument in Lemon Street. There is a man on a bicycle riding in the road and a horse-drawn milk cart with churns is waiting outside one house. Built in the early to mid 19th century, the grade II listed buildings in the terrace are now known as 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21 Falmouth Road. The Lander monument was designed by the architect Philip Sambell in 1835 to commemorate the discoveries of the Lander brothers, Richard and John, whose discoveries included the source of River Niger. The statue of Richard was added in 1852 by the sculptor, Neville Northy Burnard. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC

British Army service vehicles outside H.T.P. Motors Ltd., Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1944 Featured Truro Image

British Army service vehicles outside H.T.P. Motors Ltd., Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1944

Rebuilt service vehicles, spick and span and ready for the road, being handed over to Army drivers towards the end of the Second World War. During the war H.T.P. Motors handed the Army most of their stock of cars and commercial vehicles and purchased transport generally for Government purposes. Large cars were converted to ambulances and essential civilian motor transport was provided and maintained. Ranging from armament production to the repair of Spitfire components, H.T.P.'s activities extended and multiplied rapidly with the country's growing demands. In 2018, this building is the Pannier Market on Back Quay, Truro. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s Featured Truro Image

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s

A view of River Street, looking east, showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Truro Savings Bank was built in 1847. The bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. Truro Baptist Chapel was built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the link between the two buildings. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. Recorded in 1852-1853 at 27 River Street, was the premises of J. Hugo, a dyer. The business had moved to Kenwyn Street by 1878 and the building is now, in 2017, occupied by Simpsons of Cornwall. The photograph also shows a horse drawn cart and several people. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC