Skip to main content

The Lander Monument, Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1910

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

The Lander Monument was erected at the top of Lemon Street in 1835. The column was designed by Philip Sambell, who had overcome the difficulty of being born deaf to become a distinguished architect. The Monument celebrates the discoveries, including the discovery of the source of the River Niger in 1827, of the Lander brothers, Richard and John. The statue of Richard by Neville Northy Burnard was added in 1852 to commemorate his death during an expedition. Lemon Villas are on the left with Farley Terrace, on Falmouth Road, in the distance. The edge of St John's Church Hall is on the right. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 19129492

Date: 8th July 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.263195, -5.051041

: TRURI : TRUlan.3

Image Size: 8734 x 5915 Pixels

Filesize is 8.52MB

Associated Categories: Truro

Keywords: city, cornish, edwardian, memorial, pillar, street