Skip to main content

[email protected]
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Ships

Ships Gallery

Choose from 67 pictures in our Ships collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


The Hayle lifeboat New Oriental Bank (later renamed E.F. Harrison) with the wreck of the SS Escurial in the background, Portreath, Cornwall. 25th January 1895 Featured Ships Image

The Hayle lifeboat New Oriental Bank (later renamed E.F. Harrison) with the wreck of the SS Escurial in the background, Portreath, Cornwall. 25th January 1895

SS Escurial, an iron built schooner-rigged screw steamer built by Alex Stephens of Lighthouse, Govan, for Raeburn and Verel of Glasgow in 1879, was outward bound from Cardiff, laden with 1,350 tons of coal for the Adriatic port of Fiume. The weather was bitterly cold with the threat of snow. She had a bows on collision with a Welsh pilot cutter at midnight, but neither was apparently harmed. However, in the rising seas Captain Andrews was concerned about a list that she had taken on while loading at Cardiff and ordered Second Officer Nicol to inspect the foreholds. This revealed a bad leak forward of the engine room. After a long battle to reduce the water intake and the list, which was further complicated by the failure of machinery plus injuries to members of the crew, life belts were issued and distress signals fired. As dusk fell, the gale increased with the wind from due north. The Hayle lifeboat had to be taken overland to Portreath to be launched. Several attempts at rescue were made by the lifeboat and coastguard rocket. In the photograph, men can be seen clinging to the ships rigging awaiting rescue. Of the crew of nineteen, eleven lives were lost due to the rescuers being unable to reach the vessel because of the position of the ships grounding far out in the surf, the mountainous seas and bitterly cold weather. Photographer: John Charles Burrow

© From the collection of the RIC

Torpedo boat HMS Ardent at the breakers yard, Falmouth, Cornwall. 1912 Featured Ships Image

Torpedo boat HMS Ardent at the breakers yard, Falmouth, Cornwall. 1912

The forward section of the hull of HMS Ardent, a torpedo boat, can be seen on the right hand side of the photograph. She was an Ardent-class torpedo boat destroyer which served with the Royal Navy. She was built by Thornycroft at Church Wharf in Chiswick on the River Thames. She was a Thornycroft 27-knot A class'. The boat had a displacement of 265 tons and was 200 feet (61 metres) long. The ship was launched on 16th October 1894 from the yard at Chiswick, following the naming ceremony by Mrs C.T. Cornish, the daughter of the company founder John Isaac Thornycroft. Ardent was attached to the Mediterranean Fleet during the 1890s as tender to the flagship HMS Ramillies. One role of the destroyer was training of stokers of the Fleet in the management of water-tube boilers. She was sold for scrap in 1911. Photographer: Herbert Hughes

© From the collection of the RIC

The three-masted French ship Socoa in Falmouth Harbour, Cornwall. 1906 Featured Ships Image

The three-masted French ship Socoa in Falmouth Harbour, Cornwall. 1906

View of the starboard side of the three-masted French steel ship Socoa in Falmouth Harbour with tugs alongside. Note the remains of a wooden warship being broken up in the right foreground. The Socoa was built in 1901 by Chantier and Atelier de St Nazaire at St Nazaire and registered in Bayonne. At 2613 tons gross, she was 282 feet 9 inches x 44 feet x 22 feet 7 inches. She was on passage from Stettin to San Francisco carrying cement to rebuild the city after earthquake damage when she was stranded on Craggan Rock, Cadgwith, on 31st July 1906. She was successfully floated off after jettisoning 50,000 barrels of cement. She was later renamed Thiers. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC