RIC200 Events Board, Royal Cornwall Museum, River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 28th February 2018
A view of the events board, advertising RIC200, outside Royal Cornwall Museum. The exhibitions and programme of events ran until January 2019 as part of the Royal Institution of Cornwall's bicentenary celebrations in 2018. The museum, art gallery and library was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1919. Prior to this date, the collections of the Royal Institution of Cornwall had been housed in part of the former home of the Vivian family in Union Place, Truro. The main part of the museum building seen today was formerly Truro Savings Bank, built in 1847. The Savings Bank closed in 1894 and became Henderson's School of Mining in 1897. The School of Mining closed in 1907 and the Royal Institution of Cornwall purchased the building in 1908 to house their growing collections. The right hand part of the building was formerly Truro Baptist Chapel, built in 1850. The chapel was purchased by the RIC in 1985 as an extension to the museum. Extensive refurbishment and additions followed, including the 'link' building. An upper floor was added to the Baptist Chapel creating the Treffry gallery. The architect of both original buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874). Photographer: Nicki Foley.
© © RIC, photographer Nicki Foley