Madonna and Child, Rogier van der Weyden (1399-1464)
Oil on panel, Dutch School, 15th century. Dutch artist Rogier van der Weyden was one of the most profound and influential painters of the 15th century. He was internationally famed for the naturalism of his detail and his expressive pathos. He created a range of types, for portraits and for religious subjects, which were repeated throughout the Netherlands, the Iberian peninsula, and even Italy, until the mid 16th century. He was apprenticed to Robert Campin in Tournai from March 1427 to August 1432 but he soon equalled his master and was later to influence Campin's own work. In 1435 he was made painter to the city of Brussels. In 1450 he may have travelled to Rome. He worked for Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, and for foreign princes, as well as for the city and church. Rogier van der Weyden was highly successful and internationally famous in his lifetime. By the latter half of the 15th century, he had eclipsed Jan van Eyck in popularity. However, his fame lasted only until the 17th century, and largely due to changing taste, he was almost totally forgotten by the mid 18th century. His reputation was slowly rebuilt during the following 200 years and today he is known, with Campin and van Eyck, as the third (by birth date) of the three great Early Flemish artists, and widely as the most influential Northern painter of the 15th century. The Madonna and Child was a traditional subject for Renaissance artists, commissioned both by the Church and by private individuals. The use of oil paint on wooden panel, rather than egg tempera which was the dominant medium in Italy during this period, is a particularly Northern European development which gradually spread south to Italy through the 15th century.
St Kea All Hallows Church bells, Kea, Cornwall. Probably 1904
The eight bells from St Kea All Hallows Church, presumably before their installation in the new church which was consecrated in 1896. Workers from the Killiow Estate are standing behind the bells together with Mr J.C. Daubuz (Squire of Killiow Estate and owner of Daubuz tin smelting works) on the far right. The young boy's surname is Chegwidden and he was in the photograph to represent his older brother, Ernest, who had emigrated to America. Each bell bears a Latin inscription and dedication. Bells, from left to right: dedicated in memory of M.W.Coode Sept 4 1894, F.A.Coode Jan 10 1902; original bell, Royal Arms of the 15th century, brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, dedicated to R.C. Cardew, Vicar, 1898, J.C. Daubuz, Warden, 1888 and W.L Hearle, Warden, 1885; dedicated in memory of Nicholas Michell, April 10 1889; original bell, Royal Arms of the 15th century, brought from Old Kea Church in 1803; dedicated to H. Kerby, Clerk, R. Michell, Sexton, J. Sandercock, their deputy, 1886; brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, recast in 1904; dedicated to E.F.A. Daubuz, Organist, 1886, John Thomas, Choirman, 1886 and E. Chegwidden, Choirman, 1886; brought from Old Kea Church in 1803, recast in 1904. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC
A distant view of Bishop Frere in procession to St Piran's Oratory, Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Between 1923 and 1935
A distant view of a procession crossing the dunes to the oratory for a service under Bishop Frere. St Piran's Oratory survives as an early Christian chapel with all four walls standing. It represents the supposed site where St Piran, an Irish saint came ashore and established a Christian centre of worship in the sixth or seventh centuries AD. The site has a documented entry in the Domesday book. There is a small nave, chancel and stone bench around much of the interior plus a cemetery. Situated on Penhale Sands, east of Perranporth, the Oratory has been subject to blown sands over the years. Excavations were carried out in 1835 and 1843 and then railings were erected around the site in the 1890s. In 1910 it was re-excavated and a concrete 'preserving structure' constructed over it. A large number of burials were uncovered during the works. The concrete shell was largely demolished in 1980 and the chapel reburied. The site was re-excavated in 2014-2015. Walter Frere (1863-1938) was appointed Bishop of Truro in 1923 and held this position until 1935. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.
© From the collection of the RIC